News and Highlights
Get a Jump on the Season! Show that you care and become a member of Loudoun Wildlife today. Your new or renewing membership is so important to all that we do! Your contribution helps us to educate people of all ages about why preserving habitat is so important for us – and for future generations. You will get member-only discounts and your membership is good through 2017! Please join us today!
Fall is a great time to install a Bluebird nestbox!
Loudoun Wildlife offers for sale a full nestbox kit, which includes a Virginia Bluebird Society-approved Carl Little designed cedar Bluebird nestbox with mounting pole and hardware, baffle and noel guard. The price for the kit is $40 — truly a bargain! Bluebirds often roost in nestboxes during the winter. The boxes provide protection from the elements and helps keep the birds safe from hungry predators. You can pre-order the boxes and pick them up at the Native Plant Sale. Just email Karla Etten at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summary of Upcoming Events
- Morven Park Nature Walk — Sunday, October 2, 8 a.m.
- Great Horned Owl release - Sunday, October 2, 6:30 p.m. 15611 Second St., Waterford.
- Birding Banshee — Saturday, October 8, 8:00 a.m. Banshee Reeks Nature Preserve.
- The Secrets of Seeds: A "We're Going Wild" Walk for Youth and Families — Sunday, October 9, 10:00 – 11:30 a.m., Banshee Reeks Nature Preserve.
- Beginning Birding — Wednesday, October 12, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m., Robey Meeting Room, Purcellville Library; Saturday, October 15, Algonkian Park.
- A Year in the Life of an Owl — Thursday, October 13, 7:00 p.m. Rust Library.
- Nature Stewardship Day — Sunday, October 16, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. (rain date October 23),Dominion High School, Sterling.
- The Meadow Project’s "Hometown Habitat — Stories of Bringing Nature Home." Wednesday, October 19, 7:00 - 8:30 p.m. Rust Library.
- Smart Gardeners Sale —Friday, October 21, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m., and Saturday, October 22, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Watermark Woods, 16764 Hamilton Station Rd., Hamilton.
- Birding the Blue Ridge Center — Saturday, October 22, 8:00 a.m. 11661 Harpers Ferry Road (Rte 671).
|Special Thanks to the Dulles Greenway for their generous donation from their annual "Drive for Charity"
Brown Thrasher Photo by Nicole Hamilton.
“Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.”
- Rachel Carson
Help Keep the Magic Alive!
Click here for more information