|News and Highlights
Join or Renew Today for 2016! Your membership makes a difference! We are member driven and your support enables Loudoun Wildlife’s advocacy for our wild friends, provides educational activities for adults and children, fosters a suite of citizen science projects, helps us cultivate native plants and support of habitat throughout the County. Your membership donation is also tax deductible and will be valid through December 2016. Click here to join/renew today
- Monarchs and VDOT Loudoun Wildlife has been working with VDOT to identify how they can support Monarch Recovery and Pollinator Health through the vast habitat they manage. VDOT operates the 3rd largest road network in the country and by changing current vegetation management practices they can make a big difference. This past week, VDOT planted a huge Monarch waystation/pollinator plot at the Dale City Rest Stop. You can read about the project here. A big thank you to all the volunteers who helped out! This rest stop is visited by 1.3M people annually and starting next year, it will offer a place for migrating Monarchs to visit as well.
- Report your Monarch Butterfly Releases! Share your good news by entering your Monarch releases into our google map. Check it out here!
- Our Fall Office Hours Our office hours for October through December will be Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Stop by if you need some gear, books, or gifts for the holidays! Our office is located at Morven Park (17263 Southern Planter Ln., Leesburg) inside the Carriage Museum. You can also call us at: (703) 777-2575.
Summary of Upcoming Events
- Morven Park Nature Walk — Sunday, October 4, 8:00 a.m.
- Birding Banshee — Saturday, October 10, 8:00 a.m.
- “Oh, Scat!” Do you know your TRACKS & SCAT? ― Sunday, October 11, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
- Dulles Greenway Wetlands Nature Walk ― Saturday, October 17, 9:00 a.m.
- Family Stream Day — Sunday, October 18, 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
- “We’re Going Wild” Family Nature Walk Series ― Sunday, October 18, 3:00 – 4:30 p.m.
- Birding the Blue Ridge Center — Saturday, October 24, 8:00 a.m.
- Plant NoVA Natives Training — Saturday, October 24, 9:00 - 11:00am.
- Living with Coyotes in Loudoun County ― Tuesday, October 27, 7:00 p.m.
- Identifying Hawks ― Class Thursday, October 29, 7:00 p.m., and Field Trip Saturday, October 31.
- Fall Colors Walk — Saturday, October 31, 10:00 a.m.
|Special Thanks to the Dulles Greenway for their generous donation from their annual "Drive for Charity"
Warbler migration is underway! Here's a Magnolia that stopping in for a rest and a chance to search for insects. Photo by Nicole Hamilton.
“Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.”
- Rachel Carson
Help Keep the Magic Alive!
Click here for more information